Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Excuse me, I voted.

Campaign reform? How about let's start with voter reform! So now, O'Bama is president. No surprise. But, because I voted FOR someone instead of AGAINST someone like many of you did, I don't have to lie or feel uncomfortable when a staunch OBama supporter asks me "did you vote for OBama?" I can say "well, I didn't vote for McCain, but I did vote." And if a former McCain supporter asks me similar I can say, "well, I didn't vote for O'Bama, but I did vote." I learned a great lesson this election and never again will I let fear control my vote. If you have to vote against someone instead of for someone, you're letting fear control your vote. You can usually find someone to vote for, it's just likely they're not going to win.

For some reason, we've decided we need to vote for winners rather than who we think is right. That's more like sports betting than the voting this country needs. Funny thing is, the media now handles elections like they're sporting events - did you notice that? The party leadership tells us who those "winners" are. And there ya go. So, I say we need voter reform. Start voting the way your vote was intended to count - for someone, not against someone. Find the candidate who you like and support him - regardless of his chances. If we all voted by this principle, our government would be much different - much better.

Now, will OBama bring us the "change" so many of us are hoping for? When was the last time we had a president who really delivered on his campaign promises? For those of you who are afraid OBama will deliver on those promises - fear not. Only a fraction may ever see the light of day. For those of you who are counting on those promises to come true - don't hold your breath.

No comments: